بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم – الحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله
Threat Posed by Corona Virus
World-wide, human beings are facing an existentialist threat posed by the fast spreading Corona virus (COVID -19). Doctors are struggling to find medications to treat those who get afflicted, or to vaccinate others to protect them. The best we can do, at this time, is to take a few simple steps to slow down its spreading. We Muslims need special attention because of our practice of shaking hands, embracing each other, and kissing to show our affection. These practices can easily enable transmission of common cold, influenza, virus and infection.
It is our moral duty as Muslims that we take all steps necessary to safeguard ourselves and others around us from this terrible disease. It is for this reason that the Fiqh Council of North America hereby issues this Advisory Opinion and encourages all Muslims to follow:
1. Wash hands with soap and water as often as practical at least for 20 seconds especially after using the bathroom, before eating, after blowing your nose and sneezing. Avoid touching your nose, eyes and mouth with unwashed hands.
2. Cover your mouth with hand or tissue when coughing or sneezing.
3. If you have any symptoms of this virus, such as cold, influenza, cough, fever or infection, avoid going to the mosque for obligatory or Friday prayers as well as social gatherings.
4. Do Not shake hands, embrace, or kiss others, especially those who are sick.
5. Keep a reasonable distance from anyone who is coughing or may appear to be sick and advise him/her to go home. One’s personal desire to do obligatory prayers at the Masjid or fulfill other religious duties comes second to ensuring the common health of the larger community. Masjids should be protected from bacterial or viral transmissions.
Protection of each others from this terrible disease is of utmost importance. Locally, many schools and businesses are taking precautionary approaches to minimize broad transmission of disease in the community.
May Allah SWT have Mercy and Protect all humanity. Ameen.
Written by Dr. Zulfiqar Ali Shah